Taking Action to create a healthy community by adopting both western and indigenous systems of medicine based
on a National Health Policy aimed at ensuring physical, mental, social wellness as well as spiritual wellness.
- Providing policy guidance to relevant State Ministries, and formulating policies in relation to the subject of Health, in conformity with the prescribed Laws, Acts and Ordinances, implementation of projects under the national budget, state Investment and National Development Programme, and formulating, implementing, monitoring and
evaluating policies, programmes and projects, related to subjects and functions under the below-mentioned Departments, State Corporations and Statutory Institutions in the creation of a “Healthy Community” based on the national policies launched by the government, and in line with the policy statement “Vistas of Prosperity and
- Taking actions to prevent the spread of Covid-19 pandermic by identification of the vulnerabilities regularly through the Covid – 19 Task Force
- Enhancing life expectancy of people qualitatively by preventing communicable and non-communicable diseases, and building the health service aimed at maintaining the country with the minimum infant and maternal mortality rate.
- Formulating a methodology to regulate private medical and laboratory services within the framework of a national policy, and delivering of a systematic service.
- Taking measures to minimize waiting lists, queues and crowding of patients by adoption of the information technology in collaboration with Information Technology related institutions, and by provision of the staff and infrastructure.
- Upgrading the National Hospital of Sri Lanka to the international standards.
- Upgrading a hospital in each district to the level of a National Hospital, and expand facilities of other regional and primary hospitals within the district.
- Providing essential physical and human resources to all hospitals and establishing a referral system for the direction of patients to the relevant hospitals.