Creating a fisheries industry that contributes highly to the national economy thereby producing a socially robust business community within the local and overseas market catering to the needs of local fish consumers
- Providing policy guidance to relevant State Ministry, and formulating policies in relation to the subject of Fisheries, in conformity with the prescribed Laws, Acts and Ordinances, implementation of projects under the national budget, state Investment and National Development Programme, and formulating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating
policies, programmes and projects, related to subjects and functions under below-mentioned Departments, State Corporations and Statutory Institutions for the creation of “a self-sufficient fisheries economy” based on the national policies implemented by the government, and in line with the policy statement “Vistas of Prosperity and Splendour”
- Introducing a scientific methodology to increase fish density in coastal areas.
- Modernizing fishery harbours and constructing new fishery harbours as needed.
- Providing opportunities for domestic fishing companies to expand fishing in international seas.
- Encouraging private companies and entrepreneurs to promote canned-fish industry.
- Expanding market development for fish products, so that both the producer and the consumer achieve a fair deal
- Eliminating illegal fishing in coastal water in the North and East, strengthening Navy and the coast guard patrol units, and resolving conflicts with : India.
- Introducing a productive banking and insurance scheme for the fishing community.
- Implementing a program for technical and managerial training in fishery activities for the youth using facilities in
the Ocean University.
- Expanding the welfare activities of the fishing community.