Use of natural resources while safeguarding Sri Lanka’s bio diversity and natural beauty for sustainable development, as well as protection of flora, beaches, marshy lands, streams and rivers and wildlife, prevention of waste accumulation, disposal of waste, a clean residential environment and matters related to environmental policies and institutions to ensure sustainable economic development.
- Providing the policy guidance and formulating policies in relation to the subject of Environment, in conformity with the prescribed Laws, Acts and Ordinances, implementation of projects under the national budget, state Investment and National Development Programme, formulating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating policies, programmes and projects, related to subjects and functions under below-mentioned State Corporations and Statutory Institutions for the creation of a “Sustainable Environment” based on the national policies implemented by the government, and in accordance with the policy statement “Vistas of Prosperity and Splendour”.
- Taking steps to create a positive attitude on sustainable environment concept in the community commencing from school education
- Reviewing the process for issuance of environmental permits and simplify it as an environmental friendly and people friendly process
- Balance sustainable development targets with business and development requirements during the operation of environmental friendly production, distribution, transport services, infrastructure development, urban development and investment and economic zone activities
- Introducing latest advanced technological methods for environmental conservation