Creating a prosperous domestic agricultural culture and an agro business community adopting modern technology based on a National Agricultural Policy thereby making a high contribution to the country’s GDP and supplying toxin-free food and agricultural products in adequate quantities to the local and international consumers, and creating food security by productively utilizing agricultural resources, uplifting the livelihoods of farming community, transferring to new commercially productive modern technological food production in place of subsistence agricultural
systems and agro industrialization thereby creating inclusive economic development
- Providing policy guidance to relevant State Ministries, and formulating policies in relation to the subject of Agriculture, in conformity with the prescribed Laws, Acts and Ordinances, implementation of projects under the national budget, state Investment and National Development Programme, and formulating, implementing, monitoring
and evaluating policies, programmes and projects, related to subjects and functions under below-mentioned Departments, State Corporations and Statutory Institutions for “Modern Technological Agriculture” based on the national policies implemented by the government, and in accordance with the policy statement “Vistas of Prosperity
- Expanding agro technology knowledge suitable for the target groups such as traditional farmers, youth and students in order to direct them towards agricultural education opportunities with modern technology
- Encourage the development of young agricultural entrepreneurs
- Formulating and implementing a mechanism that combines all relevant institutions for the promotion of agro industry
- Formulating a methodology to regulate specific standards of chemical pesticides and other chemical compounds used in agriculture
- Expanding the farmers’ pension schemes, crop insurance schemes and financial resources as needed for the agricultural activities
- Strengthening the supply chain existing among direct producers, export companies, packaging firms and wholesalers.
- Implementing a new strategic plan to facilitate product marketing
- Taking measures to regulate declining incomes of producers during the harvesting phase, through active intervention by the government
- Minimizing natural disasters by communicating information related to climatic changes and daily weather reports to farmers
- Implementing methodologies to provide farmers with quality seeds and plants.
- Water management and management of water supply according to farmer requirements